Why is it important to plant the right tree in the right place as opposed to the wrong tree in the wrong place? Here are the reasons why:
Planting the Wrong Tree in the Wrong Place Is…
- Aesthetically detrimental: The tree may outgrow it’s spot and come into conflict with buildings, roadways, and hurt or destroy landscapes and lawns thus reducing liveability of property and property values.
- Expensive: A misplaced tree may have to be pruned or removed in the future at great expense and causing a negative environmental impact.
- Damaging to infrastructure, which is expensive to repair: A misplaced tree may eventually cause infrastructure damage (to sidewalks, driveways, house foundations, underground utilities, lawns, landscape and irrigations systems).
- Inconvenient: A misplaced tree may eventually block or cause damage to driveways, sidewalks, roadways, windows and street lights and come into conflict with buildings. Moreover, a misplaced tree may result in cracked foundations and patios, broken water pipes, clogged sewer pipes and rain drains, and come into conflict with and cause damage to roadways, sidewalks, and overhead utility wires.
- Environmentally detrimental: Having to remove a misplaced mature tree is not only a waste of financial resources and human energy, but it is detrimental to the environment. This because when a mature tree is removed, all the benefits a large tree provides humans and the environment are lost.
- Decreases liveability: Trees too large for the area will take over a small yard and decrease usability of the yard and make the yard appear smaller.
- Conflicts with neighbors: Misplaced trees often grow to where they are over-hanging neighbor’s property causing bad neighborly relations that may last for years. Some people may be forced to move because of this problem.
- Decreases home value: Trees that are too large for the yard make the yard appear smaller than it really is.
Planting the Right tree in the Right Place Is Beneficial…
- Aesthetically: A well placed tree enhances the landscape, the house and property.
- Economically: A well placed tree saves on future tree care, and adds assessed value to one’s property.
- And it feels good, brings joy and pleasure to people because it’s the right tree in the right place
Proactive Tree Care
- Placing the right tree in the right place is not only good for the planet and is the right thing to do, but it has many other benefits as well. This includes…
- Saving money in the long run by properly caring for trees. Proactive or preventive tree care is always less expensive than crisis management tree care.
- It makes sense economically and environmentally to care for a tree before it causes damage or is a hazard. This involves putting the right tree in the right spot to begin with and then properly caring for it along the way.